We’ve been working really hard on the NEXT BIG FEATURE of papergames.io. The private tournament mode. Anyone with a registered account can create a private tournament and invite a bunch of friends to play with. Guess what, it’s totally free and unlimited players can join!
It will be released before Xmas 2019. We’ll make an official announcement when we’re ready.
- Customization: You can add a catchy title and describe your tournament, for example, the winning prizes, the rules to follow, etc… It’s up to you how do you wish to handle the winners.
- Ranking: Each tournament has a ranking that is sorted by the player’s score. A win gives 15 points, a draw 2 to 4 points (depending on the player’s game speed), a lose gives nothing. If a player “rage quits” a running game, there are -15 penalty points.
- Unlimited participants: Yes, you can create a tournament with 3 or 1000 players if you wish. It’s 100% free.
- Statistics: Wins, losses, and draws are tracked and displayed on the ranking.
- Live games: The games can be watched live by other players. Simply share the URL of the lobby room with anyone.
- Replays: The games can be replayed if you wish to perform an analysis or an educational video on it.
- Matchmaking: The players automatically connect with other connected users within the same tournament. You just need to click on the “Find opponent” button.
- Embed: You can easily embed the tournament in your website if you wish to customize the look and feel.
Private tournament use cases
- You’re a student and you want to create a BIG tournament with all your school mates. Imagine a competition of Battleships with the whole university! Isn’t that cool stuff?
- You love your workmates and want to create an in house competition of Connect 4. The worst 5 players will make coffee to the winners for a whole week! What would your boss say to that?
- You’re following an e-learning course and all your mates are bored. Create a casual day-to-day tournament and see who’s the best among you at the end of course ;-)
When you create your tournament, a new web page is hosted on papergames.io with it’s own URL that can be shared with anyone. Here’s a preview of it:
So awesome ! Can’t wait to try it !!!
It will be our gift before Xmas ;-)
But i have some questions.
Will we be able to invite other registered members too (maybe via a button on the profile or something like that) ? or can we only invite by sending an url?
Also another question… How long will a tounament be open ? A few hours? A few days? As long as players are playing? Or maybe until the hot quits?
^-^ I’m just too curious haha. I could just wait and see….
This feature will be released as a beta version. Meaning that only the features mentioned in the article will be available. For the invitations, at first, it will only work with the sharing of a URL as it’s less coding on our side :) But it may evolve in the future to invite directly players from the platform.
The second image of this article contains a screenshot of the tournament’s view if you’re curious :)
We have released this feature!! Please let us know what do you think!
OMG OMG OMG! Just release it now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!one
Can I embed with an iframe the tournament’s URL to integrate in my website? I really like to host a dedicated tournament.
Yes! We’ll add an embed button that will show the HTML code to use in your website.
The feature has been released successfully! Please let us know your impressions!
Yes!!!, player’s game speed, this is a great “+”. Another big “+” could be ” we be able to invite other registered members too via a button”.
They must be considered!
In what case would you like to invite registered members? Isn’t enough to share the link with your friends?
I would prefer to play with those in the top of the ranking not necessarily with friends, so a button to challenge a player who appears online would be useful.For players with some experience it would be useful to avoid playing with beginners.
The private tournaments are intended for groups of friends that want to have their own rank, for classmates or workmates for example.
I understand your point but it would be more like an improvement on the global matchmaking system, picking up players with a similar skillset.
I will do that when the websites become really big. That’s our main focus now, to grow the community.
Ok I understand , thanks!
So I have created a tournament just to try it out… now I want to delete it but don’t know how to do that.
I also think it would be useful to be able to change the description and name of my tounament.
And btw, I totally agree with Coroian Calin. Being able to challenge other players would be reaaallllly amazing! I understand that it might not be the right time to add this feature but i really hope it happens soon ^-^ And discussing with the opponent while playing would also be something great lol
The edit/delete feature of private tournaments is in our current roadmap, you just have to be a little patient before it’s live :)
As for the other feature requests, I’ll analyze the pros/cons of it because it could draw players out of the daily tournament.
Now I’m working on a more efficient “matchmaking” feature that will prevent users from cheating and playing 100 games in a row with a single opponent. It will basically queue the users and change the opponent every 5 games (for Tic Tac Toe for example), and then switch with another player.